I would like to think that I can really work something and acheive a sense of light and space that is developed and mature, with a mature sense of history in the paint - but apparently I can acheive only overworked crap or overly photographic rendering. Freshness comes without finish for me, and with speed. So, I am not going to fight it and am going to do these as fast as possible, probably in one shot. That makes sense for illustration work, anyhow.




This is the color study for a third portrait, of Angelina Jolie, that I had planned. I wanted to show her as a humanitarian volunteer and UN ambassador instead of a glamorous hollywood sex symbol. The image would have been painted very loosely and flat, loosing some of the detail even that I had put into the study. Style aside, I am a little unsatisfied with it for being too close to an image that a photographer could just set up and do as a photoshoot. It got canned this morning during crit anyhow. The instructors pointed out that this image doesn't really accomplish the message, though they liked the image itself. After consideration, I agree.

Since my last post I have done two assignments - a portrait of Saul Williams, and the other an interior scene of a diner for "blue plate special".

1 comment:
Yo Jane!
you know these digital studies remind me of the way you painted the Ray Bradbury piece. (with the kids and the lions) that was really fresh, I'm seeing a consistency thats a pretty sophisticated way to make images. Keep pushin it, and keep painting like 100 paintings a day or however many your doing now. That never ceases to amaze me!
-Tamte
Post a Comment