It's the end of the year, which has me reflecting on events and on myself. In the process, I stumbled onto an important realization about the purpose of art. I've been trying to fit myself into the "mold" of artists expressing their emotions through their art and using it as their outlet, I even felt like something was broken because creating art has always been more intellectual than emotional for me. Thinking about the whole topic, it seems that convention is more of a stereotype than a truth. I don't think artists before the modern age even had the idea that art came from channeling personal emotion. It's not the way it works for me, and I realized that it doesn't need to be. I deal with my emotions in other ways, and make some shitty art when I try to draw or paint emotionally! I make the best art when I'm in a good mood and I can clear my mind and just go. In fact, when I've done my best has been when I'm in a very extroverted mood. It might seem like a silly thing, but working all of that out is a big relief.
Here's a few more pages of my sketchbook, some old - some new.




2 comments:
i knew your work looked fimilar....... it's really impressive to see someone so young having skills like you.
your work is getting so good. i like your openess too. Keep it up your an amazing painter already but keep going!
Happy New Year.
0lu
Post a Comment