
Snuck into a cadaver lab with Trey and The Art Department guys last week. I've never seen a dead body before. These had been partially dissected. The heads especially were really strange. Most of them were cut in half down the face and the skin was cut off except around the eyes, nose and lips. I'm not actually sure what was visible underneath - not bone, maybe fat? I've been told that drawing muscles from dead bodies is not very useful for learning anatomy, and it is true. The muscles are all grey, the skin is grey, the bones are sort of grey... it's hard to distinguish anything. I will never forget the experience, though.



3 comments:
Frightening! Really like the portrait.
what an experience that must be. how strange to think that these cadavers once walked and talked and led lives. there must be a kind of weird disconnect there, especially when drawing them.
very nice work. Jane, I want to see more of your sketchbook pages!
NICE!
Post a Comment